Teaching Artists 2021-2022
Urban Gateways invites experienced teaching artists to join the roster to lead instructional arts programs for school and community-based organizations across Chicago. We are looking for professional teaching artists in dance, literary arts, music, new media, theater, and visual arts who are passionate about sharing their art practice with young people, families, and adults through a variety of instructional programs and arts learning experiences.
- Teaching Artists develop and lead artist-in-residence projects through sequential lessons for all types of learners. Residencies reflect the artist’s unique skills, the input of the partner, and the interests of program participants.
- Residency programs can be short- or long-term, ranging from just a few weeks to several months and may be available year-round.
- Urban Gateways connects a roster Teaching Artist with a partner, engaging the appropriate artist for a program according to program goals, scheduling, and availability. Since every Artist-in-Residence program is customized, learning experiences are unique to each partner; no two residencies are ever the same.
- In-School Residency: Teaching Artists lead integrated arts experiences for students during instructional time that are developed in partnership with a classroom teacher.
- Out-of-School Residency: Teaching Artists lead before- or after-school classes on-site for students in a specific art form.
- Community-Based Residency: Teaching Artists partner with a community-based organization to develop hands-on art-making experiences for the young people and community members they serve.
- Workshops: Teaching Artists lead a one-time arts experience (or a short series) designed for young people, families, or community members.
- Professional Development: Teaching Artists train educators and/or youth workers in arts practices.
- Beginning in March of 2020, Urban Gateways began to offer virtual instructional programs delivered live (via Google Meet with CPS partners, or Zoom with others) or pre-recorded. While students have primarily returned to in-person learning and current demand (as of September 2021) is primarily for in-person programming, Urban Gateways anticipates that some programs may continue virtually for the near future.
- Teaching Artists who are invited to join the roster are eligible to lead any of the above programs depending on demand.
- Urban Gateways compensates roster Teaching Artists for instructional and non-instructional time including lesson planning, program meetings, and culminating events such as youth showcases or performances. Instructional rates are based on an artist’s years of teaching experience with the instructional day starting at $100 for the first hour, following a flat hourly rate of $50 for each subsequent hour and non-instructional time.
- Urban Gateways Teaching Artists provide opportunities to experience arts learning through multiple access points, such as arts integration, direct instruction, trauma-informed, and youth-centered approaches.
- Teaching Artists also receive professional development opportunities, administrative support, regular feedback, and various other perks through Urban Gateways.
To apply, you must submit the following by 5pm on Wednesday, October 27, 2021:
- A completed ONLINE APPLICATION >>
- Supplemental Materials: All materials must be received by this date for application to be considered.
If you have any questions or concerns about the application or submitting the supplemental materials, please contact Tarah at email@example.com.
SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS INCLUDE:
- 1-2 examples of artistic work
- 1-2 samples of work in an educational setting
- A professional resume
- Two (2) references for educational work
For your application to be accepted and reviewed, all required materials must be submitted and in the formats specified on the application.
- Applications without all required supplemental materials will NOT be reviewed.
- Applications are accepted and reviewed by a panel of Urban Gateways program staff.
- Selected artists will be asked to interview
- Accepted artists are eligible for contracted teaching work starting in winter 2021/22. Once accepted, artists will not be asked to reapply annually.
- Urban Gateways hires teaching artists as needed.
- Please note: joining the teaching artist roster does not guarantee work.
The application deadline is Wednesday, October 27, 2021.
The ONLINE APPLICATION and Supplemental Materials must be received by 5pm.
IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT:
Tarah at firstname.lastname@example.org